Friday, July 20, 2012

Disney Broadways Mary Poppins



Last night I had the pleasure of seeing Disney's Mary Poppins Broadway show here in Vancouver. It was my delayed Mothers Day gift from my hubby and son and I went with my mother, who shares my strong love of musical theater.

The story is the same for the most part, with a few added songs and changes of scenery for a few scenes. My mother actually found the the stage show flowed better then the movie and felt it was less 'choppy'.The cast was as great as you can expect from any Broadway show, and the woman playing Mary Poppins was fantastic! We had the understudy playing Bert and he blew us away! This guy definitely deserves his own lead role in the future.



I think hands down the best part of the production was the set designs. I have seen 10+ Broadway shows in my life and this is probably number 1 or 2 in my books for sets. The Banks house was incredible, opening and closing right in front of you like a doll house. Everything in the house was magical when Mary Poppins was around. Things would pop up out of suitcases, furniture would break and go back together without being touched and paintings would somehow turn into a bouquet of flowers. I honestly don't know how they did it. Mary Poppins flew with her umbrella several times, and Bert does a tap dance on the ceiling. So entertaining!



The costumes were wonderful and fit the mood of every scene. They reminded me of  the ones from Wicked with the constant flashy brightness. Mary Poppins coats were gorgeous!
If I could describe the show in one word it'd probably be FUN. It's just plain fun! It is a show for all ages and one I'd probably see again if I had the opportunity. And that's high praise.



No comments:

Post a Comment